Download the assets you need to manage your business
Why IT consultants should send professional invoices
As an IT consultant, you use your tech knowledge and skill to create the right technology solutions for your clients’ businesses. You need an invoice that captures the complex work you do, while still being clear and understandable to clients who don’t share the same technological savvy.
Your invoices should also be as polished and effective as the skills you use to make your clients’ operations run smoothly – so make sure your invoices look good and reflect your great customer service and specialized expertise.
- Browse through our selection of attractive IT consulting invoice templates available in several different designs and colors
- Download the template you like in the format you want to use – Word, Excel, PDF, Google Docs, or Google Sheets. It’s FREE!
- Add in your business name, phone number, email address, and other contact information. Add in important information, such as specialty IT consulting for a particular industry
- Insert your awesome logo, website address, and if you like, other IT graphics
- Add your client’s name, phone number, address, and other up-to-date contact information
- Insert a unique invoice number, and if appropriate, a job number for long term projects involving several invoices
- Put in the invoice date and the payment due date
- List all the IT consulting services you provided, such problem solving or developing and testing a new operating capability. Make sure you provide a short description along with the cost for each service
- Customize the format by adding lines to include any special requests or features you supplied, such as security, training, or web development
- If you are including a special discount for an important client, add a line explaining the reason for the discount so your client knows you are giving them a great price for your expert IT consulting services
- Calculate the total price of your IT consulting services, including applicable tax, and insert the total at the bottom
- Include payment terms, including payment methods
- To create goodwill and encourage repeat business, add a personal line at the end to thank your client for the business, and to say you would love to work with them again
- Save a copy – and send the invoice!
When is the right time to send an invoice to your IT consulting clients?
Many IT consultants invoice on completion for small projects or consultations – but if it’s a large project taking weeks, or even months, it’s standard practice to request partial or even full payment up front.
If you are on retainer, or provide ongoing IT consulting services to a corporate or government client, invoice at regular intervals to keep the revenue coming in.
Whatever payment time period you choose, make sure it’s clearly noted on each invoice, and clarify what portion of the final ‘cost’ has been paid to date.
Invoicing tips for IT consultants
Professional IT recommendations
Add lines to describe any other IT services you think would be beneficial to your client’s business. It shows you thoroughly understand their technology needs, and are thinking about their best interests. It will also put a bug in their ear about using your expert services again.
Send a proforma invoice
If this is a big job, such as developing a new IT system for a large company, make sure your client knows exactly how much it will cost before you start work by sending them a proforma invoice.
Accept a variety of payment methods
You are up-to-date with the latest technology, so make sure your payment methods include the latest electronic payment technologies, such as e-Transfers, PayPal and other online payment methods. Make it easy and convenient for your clients to pay you for your services.
Make sure you have the correct contact person
Eliminate delays in payment by making sure you send your invoice to the correct person when you are providing IT consulting services to large companies and organizations. Your client liaison may not be the person receiving invoices and paying the bills.